Saturday, February 6, 2010

And so, it's begun...


So... how does one begin blogging, anyway? Even when the intent is clear, specific: To lay down one's thoughts, to organize what's previously been written at moments of intense emotion, bright flash, sheer
boredom, or to even share one speck of feeling, impression or belief, certain or unsure, solid or frail. How does one go about introducing oneself to the world? With the trite... Hi, I'm X, or V. or whatever, I like the sound my keyboard makes when I type, so I decided to become a blogger... a totally incidental one, apparently. I'm no writer. I'm basically a reader. A keen reader, a bookworm. I can chew up a dozen of them within a two-months' time. But readers always dream about being writers, don't they? Don't we?...

Words... are to mind what colors are to a blank, perfectly white, fresh canvas. You pick up a word, an expression, a color, and start painting. Start writing. By the time a sentence is over, you have formed the outline of a figure. Any figure. Add another one, the two figures start to interact. Enrich it with expression, the canvas takes on color, emotion. Press the brush harder, thrust forward, sway it manically, stroke the canvas gently with it. If you're lucky -or talented, or persistent, or all of the above- enough, you might even get to produce a work of art. If not, well, at least you got it out of your system. At any rate, you're doing something, instead of nothing. And that ought to count for something.

And so, it's begun, the fairy tale of one...





No comments: